What do you need most in this new year?
Or do you need…
A new job
Someone to care
A way out
Help in your circumstances
Someone to listen
Your burdens lifted
I know that you, like me, would like to see positive things happen in 2017.
Our dreams become reality. Our aspirations come to fruition. And our prayers answered.
I wish that you and I could sit down together and chat about what we hope for in this new year. I so wish I could hear your story, listen to your heart, and pray with you.
Of course, that’s impossible with the majority of you. So let me tell you what I need the most. Hopefully, you will see yourself in this answer as well.
I need God more!
Jesus said, “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need” (Matthew 6:33).
You see, when we put God first, it seems everything else falls into place. There is a huge problem in the church today – trying to satisfy our spiritual hunger by chewing on the wrong things.
So this year, I want everything to take a back seat to God. I want to live IN Him, not just FOR Him.
I want Jesus to be at the center of my attention.
In order to do that, I will focus on His promises, His Word. I’ve picked out 6 verses to start the year with. I hope they give you a jump start, too.
Read them carefully. You may want to write them down and carry them with you. Or post them in a spot you will see every day.
1. Isaiah 40:30-31 – Even youths become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
Trusting in the Lord offers us renewed strength and the stamina to keep going on. If you are having a hard time trusting, then pray this, “Lord, I believe. But help me in my unbelief.” God honors a heart that trusts Him.
2. Romans 8:18 – Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later.
Oh my goodness, there’s not a better promise than this right here. And something worthy of focusing on, that’s for sure. Something tells me that the early believers kept their eyes on what awaited them as they faced insurmountable persecution. I’m pretty sure this is what kept their hope alive.
3. Isaiah 43:19 – For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland.
God will not leave you in the desert forever. He delivered His people centuries ago, and He promises to deliver you. He is going to do something new in your life.
4. Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
God has a plan for you. He said it! You can believe it! Trust Him, follow Him, and let Him reveal it to you.
5. Proverbs 3:5-6 – Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
Are you standing at a crossroads? Which road do I choose? How can I be sure I’ll take the one God wants me to take? Well, seek Him in everything. Ask Him. Wait on Him. And then walk in the way He says even if you don’t understand. He will NEVER lead you astray.
6. Habakkuk 1:5 – The LORD replied, Look around at the nations; look and be amazed! For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.
We are seeing God’s prophesy unfold before our very eyes. Are you paying attention? Are you looking? God is up to something big and we get to be a part of it.
I hope these promises have given you clarity and encouragement. Let’s move forward into this new year with God’s Word before us. Let’s seek Him above all things.